The Art Of Burning Your Candle
Candles need to be burnt properly. Improper burning may result in candles that smoke, spill, and are generally troublesome.
TRIMMING THE WICK
1. Light your candle.
2. Wait 1 minute.
3. Trim candle wick to 5mm while alight.
4. Remove any wick debris that has fallen into the candle.
5. Maintain wick length at 5mm throughout burning time.
6. Before relighting, trim off black part of wick.
Following the steps above will ensure your candles burn clean and smoke-free. Living Light’s candles are made from the highest quality food-grade wax available. This is the same wax they use on apples. However, fragranced candles will have a tendency to smoke more than others if the wick is not trimmed appropriately.
If you are burning a pillar candle, you should burn the candle one hour for every 2.5cms of its diameter the first time you light it. This will allow the pool of wax to extend to the outside rim and prevent your candle from forming a “canyon” in its center. Burning your candle this way will also set its memory. Each time you relight the candle it will “remember” to burn out to the rim.
In the unlikely event that your candle is smoking and you’ve already trimmed the wick to 5 mm, extinguish the candle immediately. Pinch or trim the wick just a bit more and the smoking will stop.
Candles need oxygen to burn. If you burn a candle in a small, confined area it will smoke, so consider the size of the room when you arrange your candles to make sure they will have sufficient oxygen to burn cleanly.
Living Light Candles contain a UV inhibitor to prevent the colours from fading when exposed to sunlight. However, to be safe avoid placing your candles in direct sunlight.
Special tip: To sample a scented candle, breathe the fragrance in from the bottom of the candle rather than the top or side. Undisturbed by circulating air, the aroma will be intensely concentrated there, more so than on any other part of the candle.
1. Remove label on your candle before lighting.
2. Never leave a burning candle unattended.
3. Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
4. Always place your candles on sturdy, non-flammable holders.
5. Burn candles in draft-free areas to prevent dripping and smoking.
6. Never burn a candle completely. Dispose of it when it burns to within one inch of the base or holder.
7. Remove wick debris and any decor near to, or exposed to the flame.
8. If the flame is flickering or smoking, trim the wick